05 March 2012

preliminary test




My work over the past few months has centralized around the idea of function, obscurity, and process. As I began working with these bowls, I have been examining the functional properties of how bowls are used and turning that around to the point of destroying their intended purpose. I find, ultimately, that the ability to change one form so drastically and in so many ways is how I work through a process of making. My emphasis on obscurity lies in the shift from an emphasis on the final form to the significance of the creative process, material, and technique. I am looking towards the accidents of ceramic mold making and how I can embrace the imperfections of a process while simultaneously revealing a truth within an uncertainty.
This was a quick attempt at hanging the bowls. I found I definitely needed a safer way of securing the bowls to the wall, but I enjoyed seeing them off of a tabletop and in a more sculptural form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment